Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cabdriver - Duke's Alehouse, Crystal Lake, 3.3.12

Cabdriver describes themselves as a reggae/funk/originals. They consist of a lead singer/sometimes guitarist, female backup/lead vocalist, bassist, guitarist and drums.

Right off the bat, they started too late. I have two pet peeves. One of them is bands taking 1/2 hour to 45 minute breaks. I wasn't around long enough to see if they committed that one. As for the second pet peeve? I got there at quarter after 10 and they're still unwinding cords and plugging in. It got to 10:30 and they all went outside for a smoke or band meeting or whatever. They didn't start until 10:45. This is Crystal Lake, not Chicago. The bars aren't open until 4AM. My point is , they should have started at 10PM. Just my opinion. Also, they took a little too much time between songs.

They are good players. The first few songs were a bit tough for me as I couldn't make out the chord changes very well due to the mix. After a few songs, they got the groove happening and the mix worked itself in. The main complaint I had was that the female vocalist was inserting her little flourishes and backing work just about all the time on every single song. It was just a little much. Most of what I heard were two-chord and three-chord progressions over and over again with some rapping over it and, for me, I started getting a little bored. However, I noticed that as the groove started getting established, I saw more people moving to the music, which is good.

The drummer was solid. The bassist was solid. The guitar player was good. The vocals were good. I think the addition of a keyboardist would be great and add a hell of a lot to the sound. The songs just started sounding alike to me. As a HUGE compliment, I really admire bands playing originals. I absolutely applaud groups that do. It's a hard route to take but I really admire you all for doing it.

All in all, Cabdriver was a good band. I really wanted to see them as I LOVE reggae music. I didn't get exactly what I hoped I was going to get, but I wasn't disappointed either. I'll wager they played more varied material later on, but I was losing interest. Maybe I'll check them out another time. Check them out at http://www.cabdrivermusic.com/

No comments: