Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Visit to Rocks Bar and Grill - Crystal Lake 10.24.09

This is not a band review but I was interested in seeing what happened to what used to be John Evans Restaurant on Rt 14 in Crystal Lake. It's now named Rocks Bar and Grill and I was hoping for a big change.

Maybe it's a little early to make the call. I think they haven't even had their grand opening yet but it really weirded me out a bit when I walked in.

The place was really re-arranged and was very sterile. That's because it's very new. The bar is pretty cool but there weren't many people in there. What was weird was that I expected to hear a band or some moderately loud rock music playing through some excellent sound system. I walked in and encountered a well dressed woman at the front behind a podium talking to a well dressed man who was the owner or manager, I think. There was a guy playing an electric keyboard. He was good but I didn't catch his name and he was just playing background music. The parking lot was not very full. The parking lot was not very big. The clientele appeared a bit more upscale although the place was certainly not packed.

I don't know what's going to happen here. Management There are many great single and duo acts that are McHenry County-based who could help you draw some customers in there. Jump on them NOW to get the word spread. There are also some great local-area bands who could do a great job for you there to bring in some locals as well. Bands. This place was pretty much all wood. Not very acoustical as far as I could determine. It might end up being very echo-y in there and tough to keep the feedback down. There is also not a lot of parking which is a "con". This appears to me the kind of a place more suited to singles and duos with an edge.

I have not been able to find a web presence as yet. I wish this place the best and I'll check them out again in a few months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey band stalker good for you, more folks should follow your lead.
I am a musician who moved up to wisconsin 11 years ago and I played for a long time in Crystal Lake, my name is Johnny Payne I just played at Porters a couple of weeks a ago,
with my current project The Blue Olives. www.blueolives.com we will be performing at Odd Fellows in Woodstock dec,19th, I would appreciate your support and input as well.
as I want to book more gigs in the area.