Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pianoman - Porters Oyster Bar/Yellowtails Sports Bar, Crystal Lake 1.3.09

I dropped in at Porter's Oyster Bar/Yellowtails Sports Bar to check out a band I've heard of but never heard anything about; Pianoman.

Pianoman consists of a pianist/lead vocalist, a guitarist, a basist, a saxophonist, and a drummer. I'll just make a quick comment that the drums were way too low in the mix. It would have been better to have a solid bass drum there to drive the dancers.

Good band! Pianoman does basically Billy Joel and Elton John music so I don't see this as a band that would be huge with the 20-something crowd but you never know. I would have to say that Billy Joel and Elton had a lot of great songs but they also had some dogs (in my opinion only). I heard these guys do some great songs by both Joel and John and they did them very well. I was almost privately aroused to hear Grey Seal by Elton. I love that song! However, a tribute of three hours of Billy Joel and Elton John can go a long way ... but so can a lot of tribute acts.

Everyone were good players and the vocals were good. It's great to hear a sax in a band these days. The crowd seemed to like what they were offered although it wasn't a packed house. Good crowd. Just not packed.

If you're looking for something different, check these guys out. I'm glad I had a chance to hear them. Also, if you have not had a chance to check out Yellowtails yet, do so. They're local and they are providing live music! They deserve your patronage!

Check out Pianoman at http://pianomanusa.20megsfree.com/

No comments: