Saturday, December 19, 2009

Matt Burke - Wool Street in Cary 12.18.09

I stopped briefly last night (Friday) at Wool Street because I know they have singles frequently there on Fridays and I caught Matt Burke. I liked him. I didn't get to hear a lot but the man has a very good voice and good control over his equipment. He's a looper like many are out there now, so one has to know their equipment to work the devices and get a good sound. He also uses a harmonizer which I think added a good touch. The only thing with the loopers is that the looping pedals (based on my limited knowledge of them) seems to be used most often when looping 2 to 8 bars of music and repeating it all over and over again. This can get (to me) downright boring. I have to say it got pretty tedious hearing Fire On The Mountain repeated over and over again and it was a little tedious for me hearing you get the set-up right at the beginning with the bass line and all. However Matt, I looked around and NOBODY out there in the audience had any clue about what you were doing up there and didn't notice. So, who's to care? That's why, as a musician, you should never play for the 2 or 3 people out there in the audience who know what you're doing up there. You're the one who has the gig. They don't.

Matt is a very good singer and a good guitarist. He's a good single act and he should be playing more frequently than he does; based on my limited exposure last night. I'm going to check him out again for sure.

Check out Matt Burke Music at http://www.myspace.com/mattburkemusic

2 comments:

Matt Burke said...

Hey hey, thanks for the kind words! I do actually feel the need to defend myself a little here though:

You are absolutely correct about Fire On The Mountain. I am in the process of transitioning from my old looper pedal (read: inferior) to a new pedal. I have the new equipment, but I've had it for less than a week and I didn't trust playing live with it just yet last Friday. Long story short: you caught me in the midst of a mistake with Fire On The Mountain... a mistake that was solely the fault of the looping pedal. It skips when you layer too much. So, once that happened, I had to start it over again, and relayer everything, and well... as you noted, that gets boring. It is what it is. But hopefully the integration of my new gear will eliminate problems such as those.

Thanks again for taking the time to mention me and my music on your blog. I hope to see you out there again in the future!

Cheers,
Matt Burke
www.myspace.com/mattburkemusic
www.facebook.com/mattburkemusic

Bandstalker said...

There really is no need to defend yourself. You were very good and I certainly understand and have experienced my share of equipment glitches and malfunctions. Who of us hasn't? Next time I have a chance to check you out for a little longer, I will.