Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mr Cab Driver - Williams Street Tap, Crystal Lake 12.18.09

First of all, Williams Street Tap is not my favorite place in the area but damn it, they present local musicians and live music in there and this makes this yet another place you should patronize if even just for that. It's just a square paneled room with good-priced drinks and, did I mention, LIVE MUSIC.

Anyway, Mr Cab Driver was the name of the band. The band's My Space page is at http://www.myspace.com/mrcabdrivermusic

The band consisted of two guitarists, a bassist and a drummer. They dressed just like they just got off work and when you add in the ambiance of Williams Street Tap, it was as if their garage where they practice was mystically transformed to downtown Crystal Lake.

I really kind of liked these guys. I have to assume what I heard in the hour I was there was all or partially original music of theirs as I didn't recognize any of the songs. They play well and the vocal was good. These guys can play their instruments and had a good sound overall. The only downside to me was that this, to me, was jam-band music. I'm not a huge fan of jam band music. In my other blog post regarding Matt Burke, I refer to the looping device. Mr. Cab Driver (to me) was a like a live looping device. I didn't actually count the number of different chords I heard in the hour I was there but I don't think it was more than maybe 6 . Most of each individual song only had two chords or maybe a 3rd one but this began getting pretty boring for me. It also didn't help that I was not able to discern one intelligible word while I was there. That maybe had more to do with the acoustics of the paneled box room but it was an issue either way.

But it was somewhat interesting what they did with those two chords and I was strangely attracted to the music. It was pretty good stuff. If it was all original, I also should applaud you for that because nobody out here in the burbs performs original music. That seems to be a city thing and more of that out here would be kind of cool.

Check out Mr Cab Driver next time to have the chance!

No comments: