Saturday, October 16, 2010

90s Nation - Duke's Alehouse Crystal Lake, 10.15.10

It was an OK night at Duke's Alehouse. Not packed but not empty either. I've always kind of liked Duke's, as I remember it when it was Southside Johnny's and Cat Ballew's. 90's Nation was there and it's not a bad band. They played some fun songs and some material you don't hear all the time in bars.

90's Nation consists of a singing bass player, a female singing/keyboardist, 2 guitarists and a drummer. As the name implies, they specialize in 90s songs. They are all good players and are very tight together. They are entertaining to watch and obviously had some devoted fans in the audience. My only other comment would be that the vocals were not as strong as one might like. They were good but, I felt, not real strong and/or full of personality. But maybe that's just me. Their fans liked what they heard and that's what really matters.

Now, as a comment on the 90's, I was not blown away by the 9os. However, back in the actual 1980's, I remember a good friend and I agreeing that the 80s was a wasteland of musical crap that would go down in musical history as the "Dark Ages". Man, was I wrong.I also remember that in the 80's, 60's music was big and in the 70's, 50's was the nostalgic decade.

But then again, the big fad music every decade is the music of two decades prior. We just got through a few years of a huge resurgence in Bon Jovi, Poison and 80's hair band music and we are now moving in to the 2010 to 2020 era and it would only be natural that 90's music will be the next big fad music for the upcoming decade.

As I'm sure that 90's music will be the next big fad music, 90s Nation will be right there delivering what people will want to hear. Good job you guys. You will be on the cutting edge!

Check out 90s Nation at their Facebook page at http://pt-br.facebook.com/90snation

1 comment:

Laura said...

Bandstalker,

My son and a couple of friends (18,17 & 19) had been in a band recently and one of the members bailed on them. They are looking to get connected with another group- either together or individually- do you know of any bands that are looking for lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, or a drummer? They all are excellent, in need of vocalist and another electric guitar player at least(possibly bass player). Have equipment. They mostly enjoy metal, but rock as well.